Vitamin C and Heart Disease
"I think we can get almost complete control of cardiovascular disease, heart attacks and strokes by the proper use of vitamin C and lysine ... even cure it. " - From Linus Pauling's Last Interview
Heart disease, the number one cause of death in America, is a vitamin C deficiency disease!
More than 20 years ago, Linus Pauling and Matthias Rath alerted the world that the specific cause of heart disease is a chronic, sub-clinical vitamin C deficiency. Their elegant unified theory explains why high doses of vitamin C and lysine (aka the Pauling therapy) has been effective preventing and treating heart and cardiovascular disease.
Complete Control of Cardiovascular Disease is Possible without Medical Intervention
You may want to know that I put my uncle on the Heart Technology (vitamin C/lysine) formula a mere 10 days ago and his cardiologist did an EKG and called him up, excitedly, telling him that it looked as if he had never even had a heart attack (He has had 3!!!).
His doctor told him to continue doing whatever it was he was doing. Needless to say, we are all very excited to hear that!!!
Pauling's Specific Vitamin C and Lysine Recommendations (aka the Pauling Therapy)
Foundation Co-founder Owen Fonorow on the Pauling-Therapy™
Fonorow Book: Pauling Therapy for Heart Disease
Paper: The Cure for Heart Disease (Condensed) By Owen Fonorow
Owen's First Nationwide Radio Interview: Vitamin C and Heart Disease, 2003 Foundation's cofounder two hour interview on Americans Freedom Radio Network (May 2003)
There is a Problem: Stopping . . .
Former, severely ill, heart patients feel completely cured and many stopped taking their high doses of vitamin C. One of the reasons for writing the Pauling-therapy handbook was to document that stopping the Pauling therapy (high dose vitamin C and lysine), because the person feels well, invariably returns the person to the condition they were in before they began the therapy.
In our experience, the decline occurs consistently after about six months stopping the high vitamin C/lysine therapy.
The high dosage therapy can probably be lessened over time, but we don't know by how much. (No one is studying Pauling's therapy.) Our experience makes it clear that Pauling was right when he said that vitamin C should not be stopped, even for a single day , and continuing high dosages is cheap "insurance."
Dear Owen Fonorow,
I want to thank you for saving my life!
It was articles written by you that were published in the "Townsend Letters" ten years ago, when you described the Linus Pauling protocols regarding cardio-vascular disease. In 2002, I began following Dr. Pauling's recommendations and continue until today with the results recorded in the attached medical records.
I feel indebted to you, Dr. Fonorow, for providing me with information that has enabled me to live the last ten years of my life in excellent health. Thank you for keeping Linus Pauling's legacy alive.
If the information contained in the enclosed (13 year & experience with Lp(a)) can be of benefit to your cause, you have my permission to use said information, in any manner, shape, or form, with no strings attached.
Thank you sincerely,
Dave G. Cramer
(a humble 84 year old follower & believer)
The first reports came from Linus Pauling himself (circa 1989). These were published and are presented as part of the Linus Pauling video on Heart Disease: A Unified Theory of Cause and Cure. During this video, Linus Pauling himself depicts the first use of his invention, the seemingly miraculous reversals of incapacitated CVD patients.
The Pauling video lecture contains additional information for health professionals and may be obtained on-line, or by telephoning 800-894-9025, or 1-630-983-6707 outside the USA.
Several Lp(a) Binding Inhibitor formulas as dietary supplements are now available without prescription.
Many of the following detailed first-hand testimonials may be found at Owen's Book web site
The Pauling Story Behind the Cure for Heart Disease
He said, Dr. Pauling, " I have heart disease. My brother, my father both died of heart attacks. I am a biochemist but I was retired from the National Institutes of Health several years ago for disability because of my heart. I have had 3 by-pass operations, and I can't have any more by-pass operations. I like to walk, but I have trouble. After I have walked a little way I develop angina pectoris pain in my heart. If I take a nitroglycerin tablet, I can walk a little farther, and then I may have to take another nitroglycerin tablet."
He went on to say," I have been taking vitamin C, 5 grams a day for several years because of your recommendation. Is there something else that I could do that would permit me to walk?"
I said, "I could make a suggestion, it has never been tried before. Take Lysine. "
Well I didn't need to tell him what Lysine was, that it's an essential amino acid and you have to get around a gram a day to be in good health, and you get it in your foods, because he is one of the most distinguished biochemists in the United States, recipient of the National Medal of Science in the United States. So he said, how much shall I take? I thought, what do I know. I know that people get a gram or two in their food depending upon how much meat and fish they eat, that it's essential they have to get around one gram. It hasn't any known toxicity in animals or human beings.
I said 5 grams, 5 grams a day. He thanked me.
A couple of months later he telephoned me and said its almost miraculous. I started taking a gram a day and 2 grams and so on. Within a month after I had reached 5 grams a day of Lysine in addition to my 5 grams of vitamin C, I could walk 2 miles without any nitroglycerin tablets or without any pain in the chest. He said he had cut down the amount of heart medicine he was taking in half. "It's almost miraculous," he said.
Another couple of months went by and he telephoned me and said that, "I was feeling so good the other day that I cut down a big tree in our yard, and was chopping it up for wood, and I was also painting the house, and I got chest pains", despite his 5 grams of lysine, so he said that he "went up to 6 grams of lysine and 6 grams of vitamin C and told me now "I am continuing chopping down, chopping up the tree and painting the house". And now a couple of years later he is still in fine health. -- Linus Pauling [1993 Linus Pauling Video on Heart Disease]
Berkley Bedell, 90-year-old former Congressman Recovers "on death bed" on the Linus Pauling's Therapy for Heart Disease.
NIH Denies Grant to Study Pauling's Therapy (twice)
The Pauling therapy is simple. Take high doses of two nutrients that are required for life. Doing so can prevent and even cure many forms of cardiovascular and heart disease - in days or weeks. The question becomes how much should one take?
We, under the auspices of the Vitamin C Foundation, submitted two study proposals to the United States National Institutes of Health, (NIH) Office of Alternative Medicine. We were inexperienced in submitting such proposals, but the NIH was free to solicit its own studies. Either proposal would have fairly evaluated the Pauling therapy on heart disease.
The 1998 Study Proposal
- The 2002 Study Proposal: Lowering Lp(a) with Ascorbate, Lysine and Proline.
These submissions (and subsequent rejections) are a matter of public record.
Probably the main reason that this important discovery has been ignored is economic: Think of more than half the hospitals in your region closing.
Comparing the "Lipid Theory" with the "Unified Theory"
Likewise, if the system is cardiovascular, you would expect sludge (plaques) to build up first in the capillaries and arterioles, long before appearing in the carotid and coronary arteries. The first blockages, similarly, you would expect to occur way downstream of the pump, not in close proximity to the heart, where the pressure is the greatest.
Yet, this is not the way cholesterol plugs up arteries. It's the exact reverse. So a plumber's take would be that something else is happening."
Thomas Levy: Cardiologist Agrees: Heart Disease is a Vitamin C Deficiency
The important Levy book surveys the massive scientific evidence connecting dietary vitamin C deficiency with the cause of the circulatory condition commonly called heart disease. The disease condition is characterized by atherosclerotic plaque build-ups in arteries leading to angina, heart attack and stroke.
Daniel Cobb: Reversing Heart Disease with a Vitamin
David Leake: 17-year Heart Patient Writes a Book
Without discovering your website, I might not be here today! "Thanks" seems hardly adequate.
Here is David on youtube describing how he ended his 17 year nightmare A Patented Heart Disease Cure That Works.
And here is Mr Leake's proof: His online medical records: http://dleakecadhistory.blogspot.com/
We haven't heard from David for a while and we hope he is still with us...
Harvard: Vitamin C Transforms Stem Cells into Heart Muscle Cells
Lee and his colleagues tested 880 bioactive substances — including drugs and vitamins — approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to see if they stimulated the mouse stem cells to become heart muscle cells. The cells were genetically altered to give off a fluorescent bright green color when viewed under a microscope if they had become heart muscle cells.
"We only got 1 out of the 880 to light up, and that was from ascorbic acid, the chemical commonly known as vitamin C," says Lee, an associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, and a lecturer in biological engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, Mass.
Harvard: Single Vitamin C Pill Might Save 300,000 Lives Annually
Interestingly, dietary intake of vitamin C seemed to have little effect on coronary heart disease risk. But if women used vitamin C supplements, their risk was reduced by 27 percent. "
Pauling's Therapy For Gorillas in Captivity
How Pauling's Vitamin C Therapy May Save the Gorillas
If captive gorillas are receiving the same amount of vitamin C that zookeepers have long considered adequate, perhaps some new variable is present. The nonprofit Vitamin C Foundation is aware of several factors that reduce the bioavailability of vitamin C in humans, and it is safe to assume that these factors are at work in our genetic cousins. Either the animal food is not fresh (meaning the highly reactive vitamin is lost); the diet has been changed to include more processed foods (which would adversely affect cell membranes and thus vitamin C uptake to cells); or the process of "evolution" in zoos is allowing more gorillas that would otherwise have died in the wild to survive and have offspring.
Eyes: A Window to the Heart...
Eyes: A Window to the Heart...
Vitamin C and Heart Disease Research
Vitamin C, E can help prevent cardio-vascular diseases...
Prof Mishra explained: Basically, when heart patients opt for angioplasty or ballooning to remove blockages in arteries, the patients become vulnerable to a burst of oxygen consumption. The heart experiences a sudden rise of oxygen supply, which in turn triggers formation of toxins. Ultimately, the toxins have an adverse effect on heart that may lead to heart attack. But, in our clinical trails we have observed that the post-heart attack patients if administered Vitamins C and E can be protected from the burst of oxygen.. "
High-dose Vitamin C Reduces Cholesterol in Lab Rats...
"The study confirms the hypocholesterolaemic effect of vitamin C and that Vitamin C has no adverse effect on serum electrolytes. It is suggested that its administration in moderate to high doses may protect against atherosclerosis and hypertension."
Effects of ascorbic acid on ambulatory blood pressure in elderly
patients with refractory hypertension...
Note the effect of even tiny doses!
- Study: Vitamin C Pills Protect the Heart...
Vitamin C linked to lower stroke risk: study
Increased blood levels of vitamin C may reduce the risk of stroke by 42 per cent, suggests a large European-based study.
Positive Effect of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) on prevention of
hypercholesterolemia induced atherosclerosis in rabbits...
The notion that oxidation of lipids and propagation of free radicals may contribute to the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis is supported by a large body of evidence.
Low dose of ascorbic acid (0.5 mg/100 g body weight/day) did not have any significant effect on the percent of total area covered by atherosclerotic plaque. However, ascorbic acid when fed at a higher dose (15 mg/100 g body weight/day) was highly effective in reducing the atherogenecity. With this dose the percent of total surface area covered by atherosclerotic plaque was significantly less (p < 0.001). This suggests that use of ascorbic acid may have great promise in the prevention of hypercholesterolemia induced atherosclerosis.
of Ascorbic Acid Supplementation on Certain Oxidative Stress Parameters
in the Post Reperfusion Patients of Myocardial Infarction...
"Supplementation of vitamin C to the post reperfusion patients restored these parameters back to normal or near normal levels" - May 2006
- Effect of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) on prevention of hypercholesterolemia induced atherosclerosis...
- Association between plasma lipoprotein(a) concentration and restenosis after stent implantation...
- Vitamin C inhibits platelet aggregation ...
- Antioxidant effects of combined vitamins C and E in acute myocardial infarction...
- Researchers report low plasma vitamin C levels predict adverse cardiovascular events in End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) patients...
- Predictors of coronary artery disease in the Lebanese population...
- Lipoprotein(a), apolipoprotein(a) polymorphism and coronary atherosclerosis severity in type 2 diabetic patients...
- Prospective Study of Lipoprotein(a) as a Risk Factor for Deteriorating Renal Function in Type 2 Diabetic Patients ...
- Relationship between serum lipoprotein(a) concentrations and coronary vasomotion in coronary spastic angina...
- Oral vitamin C administration reduces early recurrence rates after electrical cardioversion of persistent atrial fibrillation and attenuates associated inflammation...
- Serum concentration of lipoprotein(a) decreases on treatment with hydrosoluble coenzyme Q10 in patients with coronary artery disease: discovery of a new role...
- Myocardial metabolism and improved outcomes through carnitine, coenzyme Q10, and taurine supplementation after high risk heart surgery...
- Lipoprotein oxidation profile in end stage renal disease patients. Role of vitamin C supplementation...
- Suppository chelation therapy (+vitamin C/lysine and other support) reverses calcification in coronary artery disease ...
- Relation Between Serum Lipoprotein (a) and Residual Lesion Stenosis of Coronary Artery After Myocardial Infarction Without Reperfusion Therapy... [PubMed]
- Effect of ascorbic acid on plasma cholesterol in humans in a long-term experiment...
- Improvement of peripheral endothelial dysfunction by acute vitamin C application...
- Serum concentration of lipoprotein(a) decreases on treatment with hydrosoluble coenzyme Q10 in patients with coronary artery disease: discovery of a new role...
- Antioxidant Vitamins C and E Improve Endothelial Function in Children With Hyperlipidemia...
- Role of ascorbic acid in the modulation of inhibition of platelet aggregation by polymorphonuclear leukocytes...
- JAMA study inadvertently proves Vitamin C and Magnesium benefits for cardiovascular patients...
- Taking vitamins C and E could slow the progress of a potentially fatal cardiovascular condition in heart transplant patients, scientists suggest.
- The effect of micronutrient supplementation on quality-of-life and left ventricular function in elderly patients with chronic heart failure. ...
- The High Atherosclerotic Risk Among Epileptics: the Atheroprotective Role of Multivitamins....
- PRECURSOR TO HEART DISEASE - OXIDATIVE ARTERIOLAR WALL SHEAR STRESS - IS PREVENTED BY CHRONIC VITAMIN-C TREATMENT...
- LOW PLASMA VITAMIN C IS ASSOCIATED WITH INCREASED RISK OF STROKE...
- Plasma Lp(a) concentration is an independent predictor of stent restenosis...
The Twilight Zone... (sometimes it feels that way.)
American Heart Association Drops the Ball
15-YEAR HARVARD STUDY OF 85,000 FINDS SINGLE VITAMIN C PILL REDUCES
HEART DISEASE ALMOST 30%.
Interestingly, dietary intake of vitamin C seemed to have little effect on coronary heart disease risk. But if women used vitamin C supplements, their risk was reduced by 27 percent. According to the numbers in [this story] A single 360 mg vitamin C pill daily would save more than 300,000 lives per year.
ANTIOXIDANT VITAMINS AND MORTALITY IN OLDER PERSONS...
FINDINGS: Strong inverse relationship for blood ascorbate (vitamin-C) concentrations with all-cause and cardiovascular disease mortality, which were only marginally reduced after adjustment for confounders or supplement use. Those in the lowest fifth (< 17 micromol/L) had the highest mortality, whereas those in the highest fifth (> 66 micromol/L) had a mortality risk nearly half that (hazard ratio = 0.54; 95% CI: 0.34, 0.84). Similar results were found after the exclusion of those subjects with cardiovascular disease or cancer at baseline (hazard ratio = 0.51; 0.28, 0.93). In fully adjusted models, there was no evidence for an influence of alpha-tocopherol (vitamin-E), beta-carotene, or retinol (vitamin-A) on total mortality. Dietary antioxidants measured by the food-frequency questionnaire were not associated with all-cause or cardiovascular disease mortality"
- 2004 UCLA NOBELIST LOUIS J. IGNARRO LEADS STUDY SHOWING SUPPLEMENTS SLOW ATHEROSCLEROSIS...
- 2003: New Dutch finds people with the lowest amount of vitamin C in their diets were 30 percent more likely to have a stroke than people with the highest amount of it. This confirms a 2002 study with similar findings.
RANDOMIZED, DOUBLE-BLIND CONTROLLED TRIAL IN HUMANS FOUND STATISTICALLY
SIGNIFICANT 60-SECOND TREADMILL EXERCISE IMPROVEMENTS IN 5000 MG
VITAMIN C GROUPS
You will have to read this study. BOTH study groups received vitamin C (and magnesium) and both study groups experienced a 60-second statistically significant treadmill exercise improvement. [Chelation Therapy for Ischemic Heart Disease: A Randomized Controlled Trial, Knudtson, et. al. JAMA, Jan 23/30, 2002 - Vol 287, No 4. Pp 481-486]
- 2004: INFLUENCE OF L-ARGININE AND VITAMIN C ON THE AUTONOMIC NERVOUS SYSTEM IN CHRONIC HEART FAILURE SECONDARY TO ISCHEMIC CARDIOMYOPATHY...
- 2003: VITAMIN C IS SUPERIOR TO DILTIAZEM FOR RADIAL ARTERY VASODILATION IN PATIENTS AWAITING CORONARY ARTERY BYPASS GRAFTING...
- 2003: IMPROVEMENT OF PERIPHERAL ENDOTHELIAL DYSFUNCTION BY ACUTE VITAMIN C APPLICATION: DIFFERENT EFFECTS IN PATIENTS WITH CORONARY ARTERY DISEASE, ISCHEMIC, AND DILATED CARDIOMYOPATHY...
- 2004: VITAMIN C REDUCES LEVELS OF C-REACTIVE PROTEIN
- 1996 (Submitted, but rejected):
SUPPLEMENTS HALT ATHEROSCLEROSIS
Nutritional Supplement Program Halts Progression of Early Coronary Atherosclerosis Documented by Ultrafast Computed Tomography
EFFECT OF ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C) ON PLASMA CHOLESTEROL IN HUMANS IN A LONG-TERM EXPERIMENT...
In all these time intervals, ascorbic acid was found significantly to depress cholesterolemia and its effects persisted 6 weeks after termination of the experiment.
Deadly Drugs: Cholesterol-Lowering Statins
The Dangers of Statin Drugs: What You Haven't Been Told About Cholesterol-Lowering Medication
STATIN DRUG DANGER!
STATIN DRUG DANGERS... Note: Vitamin C overcomes these dangers
Given no hope... "The Vascular surgeon is staggered... The artery is now clear." - Sep 2005
You maybe interested in the following information.
I have now been taking Pauling's therapy [Vitamin C/Lysine] for a period of two years. The amount taken has been 3000mg ea. in total each day, split morning & evening. I may have missed on a couple of occasions. These quantities are listed as a preventive dose. Prior to taking Linus Pauling's therapy my condition was as follows.
- I was admitted to Hospital with a stroke 24/004/03.
- The only damage I suffered was loss of eyesight in the left eye.
- Following my discharge from hospital I was subjected to a Carotid angiogram which proved unsuccessful due to the plague within the arteries. The left artery was down to a trickle with atherosclerosis spreading deeper into my cranium. My right artery was also infected with atherosclerosis.
- At this stage I decided on a second opinion. The results were the same. I was virtually told that it was only a matter of time.
- At this point of the saga I decided I would navigate my own destiny. "Enter [The Pauling Vitamin c/lysine therapy]"
- The only one request to my vascular surgeon would they monitor by scan the effect. This they agreed.
- I have been scanned every six months.
- Eighteen months has passed and no comment has been made by the Vascular surgeon.
In June 22/6/05 I had my last scan. The result is the left Carotid artery according to the Vascular surgeon has closed down. The atherosclerosis beyond the blockage, which was entering deeper into my cranium has disappeared, in other words, the artery is clear. My right artery is also clear.
The Vascular surgeon is staggered.
Maybe had I gone onto the therapeutic quantities, my left artery may have cleared the plaque blocking it?
However this is very good news. My next scan is in December so I am hoping for just as good news. Will keep you posted on the next scan.
regards Gerald G. (Australia)
Amazon Best Seller!: The Vitamin C Foundation's Co-Founder has written
Copyright 2008 by Owen Fonorow.
Owen's Web Site: The Pauling Therapy provides information about Vitamin C and Lysine for Cardiovascular Disease.
The "Suppressed" Pauling/Rath Paper: Unified Theory of Human Cardiovascular Disease Leading the Way to the Abolition of This Disease as a Cause for Human Mortality (1992)...
Early Pauling Lecture on the Heart Disease Discovery
Foundation Does Not Sell Vitamin C
Quali-C® is a registered trademark of DSM Nutritional Products.
True-Liposomes™ is a trademark of The Vitamin C Foundation.
China-FREE™ is a trademark of Inteligent*Vitamin*C Inc.
"Well, I don't know that there is a need for a randomized prospective, double blind controlled trial when you get evidence of this sort, the value of large intakes of vitamin C and also of lysine for preventing the deposition of atherosclerotic plaques, and preventing death from cardiovascular disease." - Linus Pauling, 1993 Video: A Unified Theory
(800) 894-9025 (USA)|
(630) 983-6707 (worldwide)
New Telephone Hours|
M-F: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. PST
Sat: Noon to 4:00 p.m. PST