Too Little Vitamin C is the #1 Cause of Death
Chronic Scurvy (AKA Heart Disease)
Linus Pauling's last great contribution to human health is the knowledge that the number one cause of death in America is a vitamin C deficiency.
Chronic Scurvy Update
Marianne Fonorow's December 2013 Heart Scan/Calcium ScoresCardio-C daily since 2006.
Read more at our Vitamin C and Heart Disease page.
- Moderate Doses of Vitamin C Lower Blood Pressure
- High Cholesterol Protects Against Infections and Atherosclerosis (Heart Disease) (Oxford Journal of Medicine)
- A Novel in vivo Study of Vitamin C and Heart Disease
- Dec 2011 - Korea: Research Showing that High Levels of Vitamin C Help People with Heart Failure to Live Longer
- Aug 2011 - UK: Low plasma Vitamin C Predicts Incident Heart Failure
- Bush Views Heart Disease through the Eyes: CardioRetinometry®
- Curing Heart Disease W/Vitamin C Before X-Rays Can Show It
- Israeli Study: Antioxidant Vitamins C/E Keep Arterial Blood Vessels Healthy in Smokers/Drinkers
- Long-Term Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) Administration Reverses Endothelial Vasomotor Dysfunction in Patients With Coronary Artery Disease
- Vitamin C Treatment Lowers Elevated C-Reactive Protein
- Vitamin C and Cardiovascular Disease - The Untold story
- Vitamin C Cuts Smoking-Induced Atherosclerosis Risk
- Vitamin C Improves Myocardial Perfusion in Elective PCI
- Scientists show Vitamin C Protects Against Hypertension-Induced DNA Damage
- Vitamin C Quickly Boosts Smokers' Blood Circulation
- Higher Vitamin C Levels Linked to Lower Blood Pressure
- Vitamin C Fights Heart Disease
Read more at our Vitamin C and Heart Disease page.
#2. Take More Vitamin C and Live Longer
#2When blood levels are measured, the study results are consistent:
Older Brits with Highest Blood Levels of Vitamins C have Lowest Mortality Rates
A 2003 study from the UK measured Vitamin C blood levels:RESULTS: Strong inverse relationship for blood ascorbate (vitamin C) concentrations with all-cause and cardiovascular disease mortality, Those in the lowest fifth (< 17 micromol/L) had the highest mortality, whereas those in the highest fifth (> 66 micromol/L) had a mortality risk nearly half that (hazard ratio = 0.54; 95% CI: 0.34, 0.84). In fully adjusted models, there was no evidence for an influence of alpha-tocopherol (vitamin-E), beta-carotene, or retinol (vitamin-A) on total mortality.
Antioxidant Vitamins and Mortality in Older Persons
Americans with Highest Blood Levels of Vitamins C and E have Lowest Mortality RatesAnother recent study at Columbia University measured vitamin C blood levels and was reported by Bill Sardi: The group with the highest blood concentration of vitamin C were 45% less likely to die of any cause ; vitamin E 29% lower death risk compared to adults with the lowest blood concentration. The highest blood concentration of vitamin C also resulted in a relative 60% reduced risk for cancer-related deaths. http://knowledgeofhealth.com/americans-highest-blood-levels-vitamins-c-and-e-have-lowest-mortality-rate/
These blood measurement studies (as opposed to food questionnaire-based studies) would have made Linus Pauling happy. Pauling wrote that even though he couldn't prove it, he had become convinced that supplementing high doses of vitamin C, along with other antioxidants, might extend the healthy life span 20 to 30 years." (ref: How To Live Longer and Feel Better, 1986)
#3. Vitamin C versus Cancer: Non-toxic "Chemo"
Non-toxic "chemo" is the miraculous promise of "vitamin C" in the fight against cancer.Expert Opinion: The Case for Vitamin C Against Cancers
Read more at our Vitamin C and Cancer page.
- NIH: Pharmacologic Ascorbic Acid Concentrations Selectively Kill Cancer Cells
- Study: Long Term Use of Antioxidant Supplements Cuts Risk of Breast Cancer in Half
Study: Antioxidant Intake Significantly Decreases Pancreatic Cancer
Risk by 67%
What researchers found was that those who consumed the most selenium roughly halved their risk of developing pancreatic cancer compared to participants with the lowest intake. Even more remarkable, participants in the top 25 percent of consumption of vitamins C, E and selenium reduced their risk by 67 percent. The authors concluded that this amount of reduced risk could possibly prevent 8 percent of pancreatic cancers.
- Vitamin C Induces "Cancer-Cell Suicide" in Pancreatic Cancer.
- Study: Vitamins E, C Cut Prostate Cancer Risk
- Vitamin C Suppresses Prostate Cancer - June 2010 Study
Study: Vitamin C, E and Selenium Drastically Reduce Risk of Death from
Gastric Cancer (Stomach Cancer) and Esophageal Cancer in Half.
"Gastric cancer or esophageal cancer patients who took vitamin C, E and antioxidative selenium supplements during a 15-year study were 50 percent less likely to die from the cancers."
- 21 Free Video Lectures On-line: INTRAVENOUS VITAMIN C AS CANCER THERAPY:
- Peer Reviewed Publication Supporting Intravenous Vitamin C for Cancer Patients
- New Cancer Imaging Technique uses Vitamin C to Detect More Aggressive Tumors
- Increased Intakes of Omega-3 Fatty Acids, and Vitamins C and E Reduce the Risk of Pancreatic Cancer by Over 30 Percent
- Vitamin C, E, Omega 3-fatty Acids Prevents Pancreatic Cancer
- More Coverage of Cancer Breakthrough from NaturalNews.com
- Non-Toxic Vitamin C Inhibits Formation of New Blood Vessel Growth to Tumors
- Vitamin C Stops the Growth of Cancerous Tumors in Mice
- The Real Story of Vitamin C and Cancer
Anti-cancer Effect of Pharmacologic Vitamin C/Ascorbate (AA) and its
Interaction with Supplementary Parenteral Glutathione (GSH) in
Preclinical Cancer Models
- The results showed that pharmacologic AA (vitamin C) induced cytotoxicity in all tested cancer cells,
- Although all treatments (AA (vitamin C), GSH, and AA (vitamin C) + GSH) improved survival rate, AA + GSH inhibited the cytotoxic effect of AA alone and failed to provide further survival benefit.
- There is an antagonism between ascorbate (vitamin C) and glutathione (GSH) in treating cancer, and therefore iv AA and iv GSH should not be coadministered to cancer patients on the same day.
- Vitamin C and Vitamin K3 Alone or in Combination Induces Cancer Cell Death in Leukemia Cells
- Study: Vitamin E (Alpha-Tocopheryl Succinate) Promotes Selective Cancer Cell Death Induced by Vitamin K3 in Combination with Vitamin C
- Mayo to Study Vitamin C and Vitamin K3 "Drug" for Cancer
- Intravenous Ascorbic Acid to Prevent and Treat Cancer-associated Sepsis? (Published March 2011)
Read more at our Vitamin C and Cancer page.
#4. Vitamin C is Anti-viral: High Doses do Cure the Common Cold
"Great web site! I applaud your efforts." - G. K. Gloucester, MA
Study: The Effectiveness of Vitamin C in Preventing and Relieving the Symptoms of virus-induced Respiratory Infections.
Study Finds Vitamin C Can Kill Drug-Resistant TBPublished on May 21, 2013
Vitamin C Protects Against the Ebola Virus
Read more about vitamin C and Ebola
Read more about vitamin C and Infectious Disease (Below)
Read about the Surefire Cure for the Common Cold page.
#5. Vitamin C Helps the body Remove Heavy Metals and Toxins
#5Russel Jaffe, MD, PhD has calculated the affinity the uniquely shaped ascorbate ion (vitamin C) has for various heavy metals, and how much vitamin C is required for detox.
Read more at our Forum.
#6. High Dose Vitamin C leads to Perfect Health
Linus Pauling's high vitamin C dosage recommendations have made it possible for countless people to avoid prescription medications
In the 1930s, Dr. Claus W. Jungblut, an early pioneer of vitamin C therapy, discovered that only primates and guinea pigs were susceptible to scurvy as well as anaphylactic shock, pulmonary tuberculosis, diptheritic intoxication, a poliomyelitis-like viral infection and a viral form of leukemia. None of the vitamin C synthesizing laboratory animals had susceptibility to these diseases.
Risk of gout was found to be lower in individuals with higher vitamin C intake. Compared to individuals with a total vitamin C intake of less than 250 mg per day, those with total intakes of 500 - 999 mg per day had a 17 percent reduced risk of gout. For intakes of 1,000 - 1,499 mg and 1,500 mg or more per day, the risk of getting gout was down by 34 and 45 percent, respectively.
The authors of this study also looked at the relationship between amounts of vitamin C ingested in supplement form only and risk of gout. Here again, higher supplemental levels were associated with a reduced risk of gout. Compared to those who did not supplement with vitamin C, those supplementing with 1,000 - 1,499 mg and 1,500 mg or more of vitamin C per day were found to be at 34 and 45 percent reduced risk of gout, respectively.
These results suggest that vitamin C, either from diet or supplements, is associated with a reduced risk of gout.
Read more at our Forum.
#7. Our Genetic Defect (Most Animals Make Vitamin C)
#7Humans cannot make their own vitamin C, but almost all other species on the planet can and do make large amounts of vitamin C 24/7. This makes vitamin C unlike the other essential vitamins which must be in the diet of both we and our animal friends.
The loss of a single gene (termed GULO) prevents you from making your own vitamin C.
Read more: The One Thing to Know About Vitamin C.
#8. Vitamin C Improves Skin Appearance and Eliminates Dental Decay
A little known benefit discovered by dentists in the 1950s is that 6,000 mg daily completely prevents dental carries (cavaties).
#9. Governmental (RDA) Recommendations are Too Low
#9Why do our recommendations run counter to medical and governmental authorities?
But Don't Tissues Saturate at 200 mg of Vitamin C? The erroneous idea that 200 mg of vitamin C is all our bodies can use daily arose out of important research by the Mark Levine group at the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
The NIH papers were analyzed by pharmacology professors Steve Hickey, Ph.D. and Hilary Roberts, Ph.D., and the errors were communicated to the NIH and other authorities. After normal scientific channels failed, these UK scientists authored two important books detailing the errors in the NIH research conclusions.
Safer than WaterThere is little risk in adopting our vitamin C recommendations. Vitamin C is completely non-toxic (less toxic than water), and no harmful oral dosage has been discovered in toxicity studies, i.e., there is no LDL-50 dosage (the lethal dosage at which 50 percent of the lab animals given the substance are killed .)
Even the Linus Pauling Institute has it wrong. Vitamin C: Myths And Reality Outside The Research Laboratory
The Vitamin C Foundation's Recommended Daily Intake/Allowance
#10. Your Doctor Lacks Training in Vitamin C
#10Don't expect to hear about any of this from Medical Doctors. Not because they are bad people, or greedy, but because they have not been trained in the massive vitamin C research.
The massive science (a small portion of which is reported on these pages) is missing in medical educations. And a negative propaganda campaign exists to keep doctors comfortable in their ignorance.
How Owen Fonorow Knows That Vitamin C is Ignored in Med Schools
Illinois Benedictine is outstanding and brags that more than 80% of its graduates who so desire are accepted into medical and dental schools. For these future doctors, there can be nothing to the therapeutic claims for vitamin C, otherwise they would have learned something about it. (This nutrition class may be the last class in nutrition these future doctors attend.)
Curious, I obtained some of the materials from an earlier prerequisite course in basic nutrition, and found a "How To Spot A Quack" checklist in this material. Prominent on the checklist was the label that any doctor who prescribes or recommends more than the RDA amounts of a vitamin is a 'quack.'"
- Owen Fonorow
Confused by the Recent Anti-Vitamin C Stories in the News?!
Read more at our Forum.
Press Release July 2015
Famous Autism researcher and Doctor, Jeff Bradstreet MD...
He too had a run in with the feds, was investigated and charged.
- 3rd "Alternative" Prominent Doctor From Florida Found Dead in 2 weeks. Authorities say MD was murdered.
- Miami Prosecutor Appointed to Head FDA Office of Criminal Investigations (Feb 2015)
Press Release April 2015
Huge Vitamin C Price Increase May Be a Blessing in Disguise for Cancer Patients, Says Vitamin C FoundationRising costs of sterile vitamin C solution may have unexpected benefits as doctors return to early vitamin C therapy practices.
Vitamin C Foundation Approved® (Cathcart's) Sodium Ascorbate now available at Amazon
Visit the Foundation's Vitamin C and Cancer page.
No Deaths from ANY Vitamin
Zero Fatalities from Any Dietary Supplement, e.g. Minerals, Vitamins, Amino Acids, Herbs, Homeopathic Remedies
Additionally, there were zero deaths from any amino acid or herbal product. This means no deaths at all from blue cohosh, echinacea, ginkgo biloba, ginseng, kava kava, St. John's wort, valerian, yohimbe, Asian medicines, ayurvedic medicines, or any other botanical. There were zero deaths from creatine, blue-green algae, glucosamine, chondroitin, melatonin, or any homeopathic remedy.
Furthermore, there were zero deaths from any dietary mineral supplement. This means there were no fatalities from calcium, magnesium, chromium, zinc, colloidal silver, selenium, iron, or multimineral supplements. Reported in the "Electrolyte and Mineral" category were two fatalities from the medical use of "Sodium and sodium salts." These are not dietary supplements.
The U.S. National Poison Data System is "the only comprehensive, near real-time, poisoning surveillance database in the United States. In 2013, poison professionals at the nation's 55 poison centers managed about 2.2 million human poison exposures, with children younger than 6 accounting for about half of all poison exposure cases."
Over half of the U.S. population takes daily nutritional supplements. Even if each of those people took only one single tablet daily, that makes 154,000,000 individual doses per day, for a total of over 56 billion doses annually. Since many persons take more than just one vitamin or mineral tablet, the numbers are considerably higher, and the safety of nutritional supplements is all the more remarkable
by Andrew W. Saul, Editor
Read the story at Orthomolecular News
Looking for Dr. Robert Cathcart's ORTHOMED Web Site?After Dr. Robert Cathcart, III, MD passed, his web domain was purchased by a firm in Germany. Fortunately, Dr. Cathcart had the foresight to ask the Foundation to copy his entire domain to our web site.
Dr. Cathcart's original web site now starts from http://vitamincfoundation.org/www.orthomed.com/. In other words, prefix "www.vitamincfoundation.org" to the old web addresses/links.
For example, Dr. Cathcart's famous TITRATING TO BOWEL TOLERANCE paper now located http://vitamincfoundation.org/www.orthomed.com/titrate.html
Vitamin C Dosage in Disease Cathcart's Bowel Tolerance paper in PDF suitable for printing.
What if All Vitamin C Isn't Created Equal?Vitamin C comes in many forms. The most common form of vitamin C is Ascorbic Acid (Hydrogen Ascorbate). Vitamin C does not have to be acidic. It is also found in various alkaline forms; the mineral ascorbates: e.g. Sodium Ascorbate, Calcium Ascorbate, Magnesium Ascorbate, Potassium Ascorbate, etc.
(Note ascorbic acid is a weak acid, having about the same acidity as a cola soft drink)
Vitamin C also comes in different shapes in three-dimensional space. The different shapes of the ascorbate fraction have the same atoms, but the atoms are arranged differently, much like the right hand is the same but different than the left hand. This is called chirality in chemistry; Linus Pauling explained that there are exactly four different shapes ("sterioisomers") of the ascorbate ion, and they are L-ascorbate, D-ascorbate, LD-ascorbate and DL-ascorbate.
Thanks to Linus Pauling we know that only the L-ascorbate shape has vitamin C activity, i.e. only the L- shape can cure the vitamin C deficiency disease scurvy.
Read more at our vitamin C Basics page.
Vitamin C In The News Archives (PDFs)
Vitamin C in the News Published by townsendletter.com
Recent Vitamin C Stories
- Vitamin C Linked to Reduced Stroke Risk
- Intravenous Vitamin C Benefits Mesothelioma and other Cancers.
of Cell Death in Renal Cell Carcinoma With Combination of D-Fraction and Vitamin C.
Amazing 10-Times Anti-Cancer Effect of Mushroom D-Fraction and
Vitamin C Together Make it into a Mainstream Journal
Conclusion: The present study demonstrates that the combination of PDF and VC can become highly cytotoxic, inducing severe cell death in ACHN cells.
- There Should Be No Debate on Health Benefits of Vitamin C
Stress: A Novel and Efficient Strategy to Kill Cancer Cells
We explored therefore a selective exposure of cancer cells to an oxidative stress induced by pro-oxidant mixtures containing pharmacological doses of vitamin C and a redox active compound such as menadione (vitamin K3). Indeed, the combination of vitamin C (which accumulates in hepatoma cells) and a quinone undergoing a redox cycling (vitamin K3) leads to an oxidative stress that kills cancer cells in a selective manner.
- Vitamins C, E Reduce DNA Damage Induced by Breast Cancer Chemotherapy
- Anti-freeze Tainted Vitamin C Makes its Way to USA from China...
Low Dose Vitamin C Plus Zinc Supplements Fight Common Cold (2 studies)
It is amazing that researchers from a major drug company reported two trials in The Journal of International Medical Research that demonstrated that taking vitamin C plus zinc supplements helps relieve the common cold symptoms and reduce the illness duration.
Silvia Maggini at Bayer Consumer Care Ltd in Basel, Switzerland and colleagues presented data from two preliminary, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trials in which patients with the common cold were given a combination of 1000 mg vitamin C and 10 mg zinc for five days.
In both trials, the vitamin C plus zinc supplement nonsignificantly reduced rhinorrhoea duration by 9 to 27 percent. In an analysis of combined data from the two trials of 94 subjects, the vitamin C plus zinc supplement reduced rhinorrhoea over a 5-day treatment more effectively than placebo.
- Vitamin C Reduces the Liver Injury Induced by MSG
Study Shows Vitamin C Prevents Bone Loss in Animal Models
Researchers at Mount Sinai School of Medicine have shown for the first time in an animal model that vitamin C actively protects against osteoporosis, a disease affecting large numbers of elderly women and men in which bones become brittle and can fracture. The findings are published in the October 8 online edition of PLoS ONE.
Higher RDA for Vitamin C Needed, How Much and Why
The result, according to Frei, is that "Significant numbers of people in the US and around the world are deficient in vitamin C, and there's growing evidence that more of this vitamin could help prevent chronic disease."
Levels of Vitamin C Help Cut Heart Disease, Cancer
Washington: The recommended dietary allowance, or RDA, of vitamin C is less than half what it should be, scientists have argued in a recent report.
- Vitamin C Deficiency Accelerates Bone Loss
- Vitamin C, Zinc and Omega 3 Fatty Acids Help Children's Asthma
Vitamin C Achieves Clinical Success with Prostate and Breast Cancer
IV (intravenous) vitamin C therapy has already been clinically proven to markedly improve quality of life for cancer patients, but a new landmark study has shown for the first time it can reduce inflammation and tumor markers in prostate cancer and breast cancer patients. Inflammation markers reduced in 76 percent of cancer patients.
The science behind IV vitamin C as a cancer therapy is now advancing faster than ever before, with six clinical trials currently underway worldwide, including colorectal, prostate, pancreatic and other cancers.
C, Vitamin A Blood Serum Levels Found to be Low in People with Dementia.
The concentration of vitamin C and beta-carotene in the serum of those with Alzheimer's disease-patients were significantly lower than in the blood of control subjects, but there was no such difference between the groups who took vitamin E, lycopene and coenzyme Q10. Potential confounding factors such as education, civil status, body mass index, consumption of alcohol and tobacco were considered in the statistical analysis.
Vitamin C Helps Children with Autism
Michelle Cobb Dolske of University of Alabama at Birmingham in Birmingham, Alabama and colleagues tested vitamin C in children with autism and found supplementation of this vitamin at a dose of 8 grams per 70kg per day for 30 weeks reduced symptom severity.
- Study: Serum Vitamin C and other Antioxidants Reduce Menopausal Symptoms
Superbug Succumbs to Vitamin-Boosted Immune System
Researchers found that vitamin B3 (nicotinamide, NAM) pretreatment boosted levels of C/EBP. in neutrophils, and resulted in up to 1,000-fold greater level of pathogen clearance after three hours when compared with untreated blood.
- Vitamin C Improves Sperm DNA Quality in Older Men
- Study: Asthma/COPD Sufferers Worse when Vitamin C Blood Levels Low
- Study: Intravenous Vitamin C Relieves Pain Induced by Herpes Zoster Virus
- Even Low Dose Vitamins C/E Benefit Women on Oral Contraceptives
- Small Amount (500 mg) of Vitamin C Improves Pulmonary Function in Newborns of Pregnant Smoking Women
- Japan: Vitamin C Prevents Radiation Damage
- Vitamin C Rapidly Improves Emotional State of Acutely Hospitalized Patients, Study Suggests
Function of Vitamin C: Treating Alzheimer's disease
"When we treated brain tissue from mice suffering from Alzheimer's disease with vitamin C, we could see that the toxic protein aggregates were dissolved. Our results show a previously unknown model for how vitamin C affects the amyloid plaques", says Katrin Mani, reader in Molecular Medicine at Lund University.
C Shown to Boost Cell Regeneration and Aid Stem Cell Research
According to a new study published by Cell Press, vitamin C boosts the production of induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs), which offer a potential for regenerative medicine.
C 'Cures' Mice with Accelerated Aging Disease
In the research report, a team of Canadian scientists shows that vitamin C stops and even reverses accelerated aging in a mouse model of Werner's syndrome, but the discovery may also be applicable to other progeroid syndromes.
- Study: Vitamin C has Crucial Anti-aging Properties
- Study: Vitamin C can Halt Premature Aging (Canada)
- Study: Vitamin E and C Help Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Liquid Chromatography Reveals Vitamin C Deficiency Common in Dialysis Patients
- Vitamins and Minerals Lower Risk of Mortality Study Confirms
- Vitamin C required to burn fat
'A Must' During Pregnancy
A new study has announced that poor absorption of vitamin C during pregnancy may decrease a baby's chances of survival.
Research published in the Journal of Clinical Investigation found that a specific protein called Slc23a1 may regulate the ability of a newborn's kidneys to absorb the nutrient. Having adequate levels of vitamin C during pregnancy can ensure that a number of bodily systems run smoothly.
C deficiency may impair brain development
A new study suggests that pregnant women need to have sufficient intake of vitamin C or L-ascorbic acid to prevent their fetuses from becoming victims of brain impairment that is associated with memory and learning capability later in their childhood.
deficient in vitamin C may be at an elevated risk for mental development and memory problems
Professor Jens Lykkesfeldt, who led the research group, said that the research suggests children may also be at risk of learning disabilities if they receive insufficient levels of vitamin C in early life."
- Study: Prenatal Vitamins Cut Risk of Low-Birthweight Baby
- Vitamin C good for healthy heart and eyes
Vitamin C Strengthens Eye and Brain Function
"We found that cells in the retina need to be bathed' in relatively high doses of vitamin C, inside and out, to function properly"
Total vitamin C,
Ascorbic Acid, and Dehydroascorbic Acid (Oxidized Vitamin C)
Concentrations in Plasma of Critically Ill Patients
Supports similar findings by Willis in 1950s that chronically ill patients have very low vitamin C levels.
Low Plasma Vitamin C Linked to Cataract
The tests and analysis revealed vitamin C was significantly inversely associated with cataract, while lutein, zeaxanthin, retinol, .-carotene, and .-tocopherol were linked to a much smaller effect on cataract. On type of cataract (nuclear, posterior subcapsular or cortical), vitamin C had a similar inverse association, while the other antioxidants had no significantly observable association.
- 2011 Study Confirms Strong Correlation between Lack of Vitamin C and Higher Incidence of Cataracts
- Celebrities Flocking to Wellness Centers, Paying Hundreds of Dollars for Intravenous Vitamin and Mineral Therapy
Stop Diabetes Damage with High Doses of Vitamin C
Researchers at the Harold Hamm Oklahoma Diabetes Center have found a way to stop the damage caused by Type 1 diabetes with the combination of insulin and a common vitamin found in most medicine cabinets.
While neither therapy produced desired results when used alone, the combination of insulin to control blood sugar together with the use of Vitamin C, stopped blood vessel damage caused by the disease in patients with poor glucose control.
"We had tested this theory on research models, but this is the first time anyone has shown the therapy's effectiveness in people," said Michael Ihnat, Ph.D., principal investigator and a pharmacologist at the OU College of Medicine Department of Cell Biology.
- 2011: Study of 232,007 Find Significantly Lower Risk of Diabetes Associated with the Use of Vitamin C Supplements
- Study: Vitamin C Shown to Help Type II Diabetics
- Nutritional Supplements (Esp. Vitamin C) Key to Preventing Diabetic Retinopathy (DR)
- Chinese make vitamin C Breakthrough that reportedly provides hope in preventing the onset of CVD and Type 2 diabetes.
Read more Vitamin C News
- The Use of Vitamin C as an Antibiotic By Dr. Fred Klenner
- The Vitamin C Treatment of Whooping Cough
of vitamin C: Insights into the Oral and Intravenous Administration of Ascorbate.
There is a strong advocacy movement for large doses of vitamin C. Some authors argue that the biological half-life for vitamin C at high plasma levels is about 30 minutes, but these reports are the subject of some controversy. NIH researchers established the current RDA based upon tests conducted 12 hours (24 half lives) after consumption. The dynamic flow model refutes the current low-dose recommendations for dietary intakes and links Pauling's mega-dose suggestions with other reported effects of massive doses of ascorbate for the treatment of disease.
- Efficacy of Vitamin C Vaginal Tablets in the Treatment of Bacterial Vaginosis: a Randomised, Double Blind, Placebo Controlled Clinical Trial.
and impact of vitamin C in clinical nutrition...
"In critically ill patients and after severe burns, the rapid restoration of depleted ascorbate levels with high-dose parenteral vitamin C may reduce circulatory shock, fluid requirements and oedema."
Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial of Nutritional
Supplementation During Acute Illness...
Oral nutritional supplementation of acutely ill patients improved nutritional status and led to a statistically significant reduction in the number of non-elective readmissions.
- Intravenous Vitamin C Saves New Zealand Man with H1N1 Flu Damaged Lung (Story we posted last January)
- Segment 3: Levy's Discussion of Vitamin C Toxicity and Kidney Stones (Video)
- PUTTING THE "C" IN CURE: Quantity and Frequency are the Keys to Ascorbate Therapy
- VITAMIN C AS AN ANTIVIRAL: It's All About Dose
- VITAMIN C AND ACIDITY What Form is Best?
- Vitamin C Improves Resistant Anemia in hemodialysis (HD) Patients
- Vitamin C: A Life-saving Treatment for Sepsis
- Doctor's Report: VITAMIN C CURES SHINGLES [Herpes Zoster]
- Moderate Vitamin C Dose Enhances H. Pylori Eradication
- Intravenous Vitamin C Therapy Excellent technical reference on IVC.
- Ascorbic Acid Orally - Not for IV Sodium Ascorbate Only for IV Infusions.
- Great Article on "Swine Flu", Why We Are Hearing About it Now, and How to Protect Against it
- Dr. Cathcart on Great Value of High Vitamin C (ascorbate effect) Fighting Viral Infections
- Vitamin C deficiency increases the lung pathology of influenza virus-infected gulo-/- mice.
- Elevated levels of dietary ascorbic acid increase immune responses in channel catfish
C and immunity: an assessment of the evidence. (Mainstream Review)
"The high concentration of ascorbate in leucocytes and its rapid expenditure during infection and phagocytosis suggests a role for the vitamin in the immune process. Evidence published to date shows an involvement in the migration and phagocytosis by macrophages and leucocytes, as well as the induction and expression of delayed hypersensitivity."
Interview with Dr. Kalokerinos.
Strong Argument Against Vaccinations
"Dr. Kalokerinos thought differently. He pinpointed the increase in vaccination campaigns as the reason why, at a certain point, up to half of the vaccinated Aboriginal infants died, obviously from an acute vitamin C deficiency provoked by the vaccination."
Significantly Improves Patient Outcomes Following Heart Attack, Study Suggests
Apr. 11, 2013 . L-carnitine significantly improves cardiac health in patients after a heart attack, say a multicenter team of investigators in a study published today in Mayo Clinic Proceedings. Their findings, based on analysis of key controlled trials, associate L-carnitine with significant reduction in death from all causes and a highly significant reduction in ventricular arrhythmias and anginal attacks following a heart attack, compared with placebo or control. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/04/130412132321.htm
In an odd coincidence, only 3 days prior to the release of the real Mayo Clinic study about carnitine, a story with the opposite information about carnitine was released, per this article in the Huffington post L-Carnitine, Nutrient In Red Meat, Linked With Heart Disease The first story was discussed by our forum at this topic
- Vitamin E intake significantly improve liver disease, Nonaloholic Steatohepatits (NASH), says study
- Adding Vitamin E to Contact Lenses "hundred times" more effective" treating glaucoma
- 1918 Spanish Flu Deaths and Aspirin-Induced Scurvy (Vitamin C Deficiency)
- Asthma Caused by Deficiency in Vitamins C and A
- Antioxidant diet supplementation enhances aerobic performance in amateur sportsmen....
- A new way of looking at scurvy we are not all alike and our requirements for vitamin C may differ...
- Omega-3 Fish Oils: The Greatest Nutritional Health Discovery Since Vitamins, Part 4: The Major Studies
The Cod Liver Oil Debate (from Weston-Price) Vitamin A is not a Vitamin D Antagonist.
Since vitamin A is required as a signaling partner with vitamin D, vitamin D will increase the turnover of vitamin A. If vitamin A is provided in excess, the results are generally beneficial. Excess vitamin A is stored in the liver. However, when the liver's storage capacity is exceeded, the overload of vitamin A causes the cells to burst, damaging the liver and releasing storage forms of vitamin A into the systemic circulation that do not belong there. By increasing the utilization of vitamin A, vitamin D can help prevent vitamin A toxicity.
If vitamin A is in short supply, on the other hand, the results can be detrimental. By .stealing. all of the vitamin A needed to use for vitamin D specific functions, the body will not have enough vitamin A left to support the many other functions for which it is needed.this may partially explain the toxic effects of excess vitamin D.
And now for something completely different
Dr. Marvin Antelman telephoned Owen frequently from Israel. During these calls, Dr. Antelman expressed interest in studying Pauling's vitamin C therapy in heart patients in Israel.
Unknown to Owen, at that time, was Dr. Antelman's history curing AIDS with the following invention.
Is patent 5,336,499 the general antidote for all bio warfare weapons? i.e. is it the cure for Lyme?
United States Patent 5,336,499 Antelman August 9, 1994 Molecular crystal device for pharmaceuticals Abstract A novel molecular scale device is described which is bactericidal, fungicidal, viricidal and algicidal. The anti-pathogenic properties of the device are attributed to electron activity indigenous to diamagnetic semiconducting crystals of tetrasilver tetroxide (Ag.sub.4 O.sub.4) which contains two monovalent and two trivalent silver ions in each molecular crystal. When the crystals are activated with an oxidizing agent, they release electrons equivalent to 6.4.times.10. sup.-19 watts per molecule which in effect electrocute pathogens. A multitude of these devices are effective at such low concentrations as 0.3 PPM used as preservatives in a variety of formulations ranging from cosmetics to pharmaceuticals. Indeed, they are intended as active ingredients for pharmaceuticals formulated to destroy such pathogens as Staphylococcus aureus, and epidermidis, the latter of which it completely destroys in a nutrient broth culture of about 1 million organisms at 0.6 PPM, or Candida albercans, the vaginal yeast infection at 2.5 PPM, and the AIDS virus at 18 PPM. Inventors: Antelman; Marvin S. (Rehovot, IL) Assignee: Antelman Technologies, Ltd. (Providence, RI) Appl. No.: 07/971,933 Filed: November 5, 1992
Did you recently receive a spam/marketing email? We want you to know that it was not from or authorized by the Vitamin C Foundation.
NOTE: The correct phone numbers to reach us are 800-894-9025 (USA Toll Free) and 630-983-6707 (Worldwide)
If in doubt about what products to purchase, look for our trademarked Vitamin C Foundation Approved® Seal on the label.
Foundation Does Not Sell Vitamin C
Quali-C® is a registered trademark of DSM Nutritional Products.
True-Liposomes™ is a trademark of The Vitamin C Foundation.
China-FREE™ is a trademark of Inteligent*Vitamin*C Inc.
(800) 894-9025 (USA)|
(630) 983-6707 (worldwide)
New Telephone Hours|
M-F: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. PST
Sat: Noon to 4:00 p.m. PST