High Urea on high Vitamin C

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

sarmierb

High Urea on high Vitamin C

Post Number:#1  Post by sarmierb » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:53 pm

Dear Owen,

Thank you for your comment. I also agree with you about my doctor's advice against taking Vit C. In fact, I'm back to 3g Ascorbic and 3g Lysine daily, initially until I reach 6gm of Ascorbate and Lysine. I will stop at this level and see what my lab test readings would be. At 3g daily level, I am beginning to feel better than when I stopped several days ago.

I've done some internet research and found the following on Vit C and urea: "Toxicity can lead to nausea, abdominal pain, diarrhea and there could be some elevation of liver enzymes and urea in the blood." Could anybody has any explanation to this.

Regarding my low hemoglobin level (anemic condition), I found this: "Vit C is generally safe. Large doses of Vict C may cause stomach upset in adults and have been reported to cause kidney stones. Large doses may also cause hemolysis (destruction of red blood cells resulting in anemia) in patients who are born with a deficiency in an enzyme G6PD (glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase)." How do I know if I have this deficiency?
How about this: "Megaloblastic anaemia may potentially develop following megadoses of ascorbic acid taken over several years. This is because Vit C destroys Vit B12 in the diet (Herbert & Jacob, 1974). Should I take B12 supplement to counteract the deficiency?

Roger/Saudi Arabia

Dolev
quack
quack

Re: High Urea on high Vitamin C

Post Number:#2  Post by Dolev » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:03 pm

Roger,

Vitamin C absolutely does not destroy vitamin B12. This whole myth was based on one study done in 1974 by Jacobs, and was disproven two years later by other researchers, who explained convincingly the mistakes done in the earlier study. Since then, several other researchers have validated that vitamin C does not destroy B12. You can look this up on PubMed with a simple search, such as "vitamin C B12"

Dolev/Israel
Dolev

Dolev
quack
quack

Post Number:#3  Post by Dolev » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:07 pm

As far as kidney stones, I assume you know that one is also a myth.

As far as G6PD deficiency, I think that this is not difficult for your doctor to test. This is one of the very few conditions for which I recommend to people not to take more than 2 grams a day, although the danger is far from proven.
Dolev

sarmierb

Re: Megadose of Vitamin C vs B12

Post Number:#4  Post by sarmierb » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:22 am

Thanks Dolev, I've read the study by Watson, Vallance, et al that mega Vit C may not destroy B12. I found out though in other sites that ascorbates are better taken 2 hours after meal. I normally take them with meals. I'll check the other issue with my doctor.
Roger

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by ofonorow » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:44 pm

The most revealing sentence in your post,
I am beginning to feel better than when I stopped several days ago.

Keep us informed. If you find any references for those toxicity warnings, I would be interested.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

sarmierb

Post Number:#6  Post by sarmierb » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:22 pm

Hi Owen,

It's been a week since I changed the timing of taking my ascorbates (2 hours after meal) and Lysine (just before meal, on an empty stomach, as directed in the bottle). I'm still on a 3g daily dosage of both and I take more water. I feel it works because the chest heaviness during walking has considerably reduced. I've cut my heart medications (Diltiazem and Vastarel) in half (used to be twice a day) and I feel no angina. I am due to have my cholesterol/triglycerides test by month end and will confirm if the reading will still be low/normal since I also halved my Lipitor intake (from 20mg to 10mg). I also stopped my daily intake of 80mg aspirin. I will be shifting to fish oil instead. Will keep you posted. Regards.

Roger

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#7  Post by ofonorow » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:01 pm

Yes, please let us know the results of the tests. Sounds like you are headed in the right direction.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

sarmierb

Cholesterol and Triglycerides

Post Number:#8  Post by sarmierb » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:43 pm

Owen,

I had my cholesterol and triglycerides test last Nov. 6. Here are the comparative results before and after I followed the Pauling Theraphy:
July 10, 2008/ Nov. 6, 2008/ Reference Rate
Cholesterol 161 mg/dl/ 166 mg/dl/ Up to 200 mg/dl
Triglycerides 129 mg/dl/ 105 mg/dl/ Up to 200 mg/dl
HDL 54 mg/dl/ 39 mg/dl/ More than 60 mg/dl
LDL 81 mg/dl/ 96 mg/dl/ Less than 100

Based on the above, it seems that my cholesterol and trigly levels are constantly low esp. trigly which gone down to 105. However, looking at the HDL/LDL figures, they are deteriorating. I could only conclude that this could be the result of my reduced intake of Lipitor (from 20 mg to 10 mg daily). Probably I should go back to 20 MG. I will have another tests after 3 months. May I have your comments. Tks and regards.
Roger

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#9  Post by ofonorow » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:49 am

I could only conclude that this could be the result of my reduced intake of Lipitor (from 20 mg to 10 mg daily).

Remember, the advice here is worth what you pay for it, but I see nothing in those numbers that convince me the best thing for you to do is go back on Lipitor.

We have covered the idea at this forum that a) cholesterol is your friend, a very important substance and not the cause of CVD, and b) by artificially lowering it, as in a cholesterol-lowering drug, you are removing one of your body's vital defense mechanisms.

Vitamin C - in the high optimal amount that you may not be able to consume (have you tried LYpo-C?) will also lower cholesterol, but in my opinion, but putting the underlying "fire" out that the body is producing cholesterol to help control.

Think about it. When people have heart disease, their cholesterol generally rises.

When people have colds or the flu, the secretions in their sinus, the mucous, generally
increases.

Does taking an antihistamine "cure" the infection? No, in fact it generally allows these infections to become persistent in many people.

The same argument applies to cholesterol. Your body is producing more to help it control a condition that Pauling identified is caused by weakenned arteries.

In both cases, vitamin C will reduce the symptom - by treating the root cause.

So, I infer that you require more vitamin C daily.

If your cholesterol were over 300-400, a cholesterol lowering drug migh
t be indicated.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

sarmierb

Post Number:#10  Post by sarmierb » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:00 am

Owen,

Thank you for helping me log in. I agree with you. Unfortunately, Lypho C is not available locally. Is it available in the Philippines? I wish Tower Lab has branch in Manila where I can buy my ascorbate supply. I will be increasing my Vit C intake from 3gm to 5 grm and then will have another BUN and creatinine tests. If my BUN level does not zoom to more than 100 (as it did before), I will continue the 5grm daily dosage.
Regards,
Roger

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”